Thursday, February 5, 2009

poetic days & red lipstick

Zenocrate lovelier than the love of Jove,
brighter than is the silver Rhodope,
fairer than whitest snow on Scythian hills
thy person is more worth to Tamburlaine
than the possession of the Persian crown...
~by tamburlaine the great, part 1

not that fair field
of Enna, where Proserpin gath'ring flow'rs
herself a fairer flow'r by gloomie Dis
was gather'd...
~by milton

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox
~by william carlos williams

have you ever had a time in your life where you feel as if you can't think anymore? perhaps i am projecting. that is very much how i feel. for some reason i feel like i don't want to think anymore for a moment. i just want to follow my heart. when i think, i think myself out of, talk myself out of what i really want to do.

these days i am following my heart. some of it is quite simple in a way. yesterday i walked into macy's and bought a pretty red lipstick. who wears red lipstick anymore, do you? and while at it i decided to treat myself to a sweet lip gloss. shouldn't we all be saving money in this economic meltdown? but i felt like red lipstick might make it a little easier to get through:) even if it doesn't make sense?

i've a special alumni gathering at my university tonight. i'll wear a pretty ankle length dress and my red lipstick. it's been a long time since i've gotten all dolled up. i had a little discussion with a gentleman yesterday on feminism. he had his walls up saying women can be too confrontational...

i think wisdom is in knowing when to pick your battles. i had absolutely no interest in 'schooling' him. if you don't know by now the power of a ladies brain, ability and worth... along with her loveliness... your loss.

poetry helps me get out of my head. all those pretty words swirling around, sometimes i'm not sure what it all means. but if i pause a moment to feel the loveliness of the words, then i think i have a clue.

i'm hoping your days, these days are sprinkled with lovely words and ideas... and even pretty lip colors...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Audrey,

So much wisdom in your post. Knowing when to walk away... graciously and wearing that gorgeous lipstick.

Small pleasures are what the doctor orders. Alumni gathering. How exiting! I'll be eagerly waiting to see if you'll feel up to sharing something about it later on. Enjoy every moment. You'll be just magnificent!

La Belette Rouge said...

I do have times when I would like to take a vacation from my thoughts and dive into feeling. However, it is rare that thinking stays home. It is lovely when it happens.

I absolutely do wear red lipstick. I even wear it when at home when I need to feel particularly poetic or perked up.

Lavinia said...

Audrey, I am loving a corally-pink lip gloss that makes me feel brighter these days, just by looking at the tube!

Angie Muresan said...

Oh, I love red lipstick, and I wear it quite a bit. Sometimes it is the only thing on my face, other than moisturizer of course.