Wednesday, September 16, 2009

ommm


today in yoga class the instructor when asking us to relax at the beginning of class said to let go of all that does not benefit us; fears, stress, worry. how beautiful and true. it does us no good. we can put our minds on something else. joy, blessings, love, solutions...
it was a good yoga class. i had a teacher say once that there is no such thing as a bad meditation. when we try, no matter, it's good.
there is a thing about nyc. with the millions of people in this town, we all walk around with walls around us. i'm not sure why. people don't look at one another, no eye contact or acknowledgement really, as we go along our day. i always wish it were different. when we step beyond those walls, rather it be asking for directions, or anything that brings us out of our shell it is quite magical.
after yoga class one of the young ladies in the class started talking to me in the locker room. i wonder if she is new in town:) she started telling me about a mosquito that kept biting her all through class. she showed me the bite marks and everything. i couldn't believe it. as we laughed i said to her 'how hard is that?' and you're trying to be serene and meditative and a mosquito is biting you... it really was a human moment shared and i appreciated it. ...let go of all that does not benefit us...

3 comments:

Susu Paris Chic said...

Showing a human face remains a challenge... but the kind that I want to go for in a big city. My stamping ground is Paris. I want to be that person who talks to you when you are sitting alone on that park bench wondering why you are there in the first place.

It's not always easy to distinguish between danger and a trustworthy person - but my desire is to continue to be able to trust in people unless proven otherwise. Even in a metropolis. Or should I say, especially in a metropolis since there are so many lonely hearts around.

Angie Muresan said...

I read your post this morning while getting my fourth grader and preschooler ready for school. It seemed so sad, it just tore at my heart and I couldn't get myself to comment, as I imagined all those lonely people, fearful of making eye contact for fear of seeming needy. Your words though stayed with me through the day, and as I sat down to read it again, my perspective changed somewhat. I read of your hope in humanity and of how a simple moment of connecting with one another changes a person's entire outlook and mood for the day.

l'air du temps said...

Susu, you so often seem to capture in your words what i mean to express. and you give me insight into some of the reasons why people are so distant. and to try to be the one or some of the ones to connect is couragous. as they say 'bon courage!'

hi Angie, i had to read your comment as well a few times. how deeply profound what you shared. loneliness in nyc is incredibly real. somehow your words remind me of a different kind of existence and the beauty connected to it. simply by your words of preparing your 4th grader and preschooler for school. in these everyday doings we have a connection and love with those we love. in nyc so much is about money and making money that many people don't really connect. when people are 'older' they marry, start their families, and mostly move out of the city. what remains is that individuality and striving...

but it reminds me so much of the meaning when connection does occur...

thank you for what you wrote.