Friday, September 18, 2009

stuff to share



can you imagine? i was so pleased with me new little summer sandals. i walked down the street trying to walk in a way where i could see my feet as i walked. you know the way? exagerating my steps, sticking out my toes in my sandals so that i could see my feet. oh i guess i was around six or seven years old. this is the way it worked, as my mom was a single mother of four we had to take turns for our new shoes one by one. she would save up and buy a pair for one. save up and buy a pair for the next, and on and on. this was my turn and i was quite pleased with my new shoes. i walked down the street excited to share them with my friends. not in the spirit of bragging, but in the spirit of joy, and i wanted to share this joy. they all gathered around just as excited. i took them off so that they could try them on too, walk around, let's share and enjoy. there was a girl there that i had never met before. you know how children are, it doesn't matter, come on in to our friendship group, happy to have you kind of attitude. she tried on my sandals and in her excitement she asked if she could go home and show her mother. i said yes of course. you know, she never came back. and i did not know who she was or where she lived. you should have seen the look on my mother's face when i came home with no shoes on.

thankfully we saved up and bought another pair. temporary stuff... let it go.

i'll be looking in on you this weekend to see what your up too;) have a nice one!

5 comments:

Angie Muresan said...

That is horrible! That a parent could permit their child to keep the belongings of another. Your poor mother, working so hard to provide for her children. But more importantly poor you! I hope you didn't get in trouble for that.

Red Lipstick said...

wow! That's unbelievable; it has to be that the parent made the child keep them. I agree, poor you! yes, you just have to move on from stuff like that, right, it sure makes it hard to trust...

Nuria Cano said...

Pero es una anécdota encantadora. Tú, pobre, confiada, le dejas tu tesoro a otra nena y nunca te lo devuelve!! Es triste, pero es así, aprendemos a ser desconfiados, porque la confianza no siempre funciona :))

Red Lipstick said...

my goodness, I thought about your storey all weekend! It really struck a cord and I just found myself thinking about it it. I think that must be the sign of a good writer! ;-)

l'air du temps said...

hi Angie, it's funny it is a story that we still laugh about all these years later at family gatherings. my mom laughing with tears in her eyes always says she was beyond belief. she wasn't mad at me, but mad at perhaps the girl's family. we did go out and look for her, but we never did find her. at least we got a story to laugh about all these years later, but it was not funny (at all) at the time...

hey Red Lipstick Style, thanks so much for your compliment about my writing. i know that feeling when something sticks with you and it kind of quietly comes in and out of your mind. you know, i'm still that too trusting girl, i'm in the process of thinking of ways to share and not be taken advantage of...

hola Nuri! tienes razon, nunca he pensado que 'la confianza no siempre funciona.' you have a very good point! es algo tengo que aprender. bueno, pienso que estoy aprendiendo... beso nena.